Project Category: Higher Education
Sub Category: Green Campus Award
Reference No. WES2013/awards/214
Details of the Applicant:
Name: Dr Elwin Chandra Monie
Organization: RMK Engineering College
Address: RMK Engineering College,RSM Nagar
State: Tamil Nadu
Zip Code: 601206
Organization Website: www.rmkec.ac.in
Details of the Agency implementing the Project/Initiative:
Name of the Organization: RMK Engineering College
Address: RSM Nagar, Kavaraipettai
State: Tamil Nadu
Zip Code: 601206
Head of Organization: Dr. Elwin Chandra Monie
Head Designation: Principal
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
The college has a landscape consultant, garden supervisors, a large number of gardeners and a comprehensive set of garden equipment. The entire campus has landscaping with green grass, ornamental plants, and shady trees making the campus very green and beautiful. The college was adjudged by the Rotary Club of Chennai as the Most Green & Clean Campus in the year 2003. The college is very proud of this green and pollution-free ambience which has been conducive to a good educational ambience. Extensive water-harvesting activity has been undertaken at various parts of the campus, resulting in very high ground-water levels. Use of in-organic fertilizers has been dispensed with and organic farming is being adopted for the kitchen gardens in the campus. Recycling of waste water has been undertaken to reuse the water from bathrooms and kitchen cleaning areas for gardening purposes. The college has an energy park, set up with funding from TEDA, which use solar energy for pumping and some lighting. It is planned to go in for solar water heater for the hostels. Green Campus is an initiative to involve students, faculties and staffs in Sustainable Development and aware them about effects of neglecting the situation. Green Campus Challenge has been designed with a vision of making campus more sustainable and green, and promotes the idea and the necessity of the same.
The aim of the “Green Campus” is as follows:
• To engage students in assessing the economic and technical potential of sustainable solutions in their campus
• To provide a platform for students, faculties and staffs to showcase their work on campus greening initiatives
• To provide opportunity to showcase innovative ideas on improving the sustainability of the campus
• To promote adopting/ implementing strategies for campus sustainability. A further aim of the programme will be to document and disseminate the wealth of experiences available today.
Target Group: Insitution
Geographical Reach within India: Institution Campus
Geographical Reach outside India: All Institutions across the globe
Date From which the Project became Operational: 1-6-1999
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
List 5 achievements of the programme/project/initiative:
1. Green and Clean Campus award by Rotary Club of Chennapatna in 2006
2. Purified drinking water is provided to all students and staff
3. Other facilities
- Extensive Water harvesting facility at various locations.
- The entire campus has landscaping with grass, ornamental Plants and shady trees
- Employs 80 gardeners to keep the campus green always
- Sewage treatment plant with a capacity of 800KLD was installed in the campus
- Recycling of waste water has been undertaken to reuse the water from bathrooms for gardening purposes
- Organic farming is adapted for kitchen garden in the campus
4. Safety Measures
- ACB, Earth fault relays, MCB, MCCB erected as per IE Rules
- The Chief Electrical Inspector conducts inspection once in a year under IE Rule-46
- Transformer oil filtration, ACB relay testing done periodically by CEIG certificate holder
- Fire extinguisher in all laboratories provided
- Electrical team headed by C License holder to maintain the safety and standard of electrical equipments
- Security personnel are posted in all the gates
5. High level of appreciation by all stack holders ( Students public authorities in education corporate officials and service organization ) for maintenance of green environment in a relatively larger area of the campus.
List 5 Key challenges faced while implementing the project/programme/initiative and how they were overcome:
1. Cost of the implementation of conservation is high Conservation is perceived as cost not as a benefit. However in order to keep the campus green large numbers of sanitary workers are employed by the management. The management is so committed to this cause that it is willing to spare sufficient funds for this purpose. Getting human resources ( Gardeners, labors, Technical Persons and supervisors ) a larger quantity of water resource necessitate huge cost expenditure a rural dry belt.
2. Pollution of water various sources such as laboratories and hostels: The management has installed a water recycling plant so that no unclean water is let into the ground and pollute the ground water. It requires commitment on the management to spare funds to implement this plant. The treated water is also circulated to the garden and the garden of the campus is always green.
3. The conservation awareness is low: A conscious effort is made by the administration to educate the users of this campus and made them aware of the importance of conservation. Because of this, the campus is maintained clean by preventing littering. The users are impressed upon the fact that each one person is important in the implementation of conservation of eco system. Action are being taken to getting people involved in conservation program continuously for sustained conservation.
4. Commitment by the administration Conservation is of low priority generally. However the administration of this campus is committed to the conservation, and ready to spare not only funds but other resources as well if required. Major budget investment in creation and maintenance.
5. Energy wastage is invisible: Efforts are taken to reduce wastage of electric energy. The wastage of food and vegetable and garbage is also limited by suitable methods restoring the ecology of the campus.