MRV Greenworld – MET Rishikul Vidyalaya
Sub Category: Green School Initiative
Reference No. WES2015/Awards/23
Details of the Applicant:
Name: Madan lal
Organization: MET Rishikul Vidyalaya
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
Our school is located in Bandra (West), Mumbai. It is in the heart of our city. Our school lays emphasis upon sensitizing the students to the needs of our mother Earth by conducting numerous activities throughout the year like composting, gardening, beach clean-up drives, conducting street plays on harmful effects of plastic, organising human chain for creating awareness on noise pollution and collecting Tetra Pak cartons, dry recyclables and e-waste and sending it for recycling. Some of our students have also participated in National level STEP programme conducted by TERI (The Energy and Resource Institute). Our School was awarded as ‘The Best Performing School by TERI and School Enterprise Challenge [U.K] for our environmental initiatives. We decided to create a business making compost and cloth bags so as to reduce the burden of waste on the Municipality. Our products are eco friendly bio compost recycled from bio degradable waste and herb and vegetable saplings for gardening. Our product being made from waste, help reduce landfillload thereby making it have a socio-environmental impact. Our products cut down carbon footprint. We packaged our product in attractive reusable bags. Thus making our product attractive. We decided to name our core product-Compost as the “GREENGOLD”and MRV GREENIES for saplings. Our prices were neither too high nor too low. It fit into the price range. We sold products from our school by setting up a store to customers :Individuals , housing societies , schools , teachers , parents and nearby institutes and hospitals.Our school is centrally located making it easily accessible for customers. We sold directly to our customers and not through a wholesaler. We sold our products 5 days in a week ( Monday to Friday) between 8.a.m. to 4.p.m.We promoted our products through pamphlets, brouchers, social media , participating in cultural fairs, children’s magazines and school magazine, awareness workshops on green living.
Creating a sustainable environment for a cleaner and greener world
Target Group: All
Geographical Reach within India: Neighbourhood and school
Geographical Reach outside India: Not Provided
Date From which the Project became Operational: 21-6-2014
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
Five points that make the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative innovative:
1. Our eco friendly, organic products are durable, available, affordable and attractive for people.
2. Our office space and production space are part of school so we do not have rent and electricity costs making it more profitable.
3. Our students gain practical knowledge and sensitizing them to become eco-conscious citizens
4. Our saplings enable people to grow their own organic veggies providing them healthier diets and lifestyles
5. Our cloth bags will help us to deal with the piles of plastic bags clogging our city
Five key achievements of the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative:
1. Our initiative made parent community more sensitive towards environment. The importance of certain core skills like delegation, time-management, leadership, teamwork, etc. was enhanced amongst the students during the course of the Challenge based on their experiences in handling different tasks.
2. As we are segregating waste at source we are helping rag picker community to work in healthier conditions.
3. There is continuous demand for green products which lead to a high profitability in our business venture.
4. Our idea of making compost will reduce biodegradable waste being dumped and help cut carbon emissions.
5. The recycling of waste will help reduce green house gases and help mitigate global warming of our planet.
Five key challenges faced while implementing the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative and how they were overcome
1. Some of our competitors are available for 24 hrs, which would be difficult for us considering the school timings limitations so we had online registrations through our websites.
2. Weather also acts as a hindrance at times especially monsoon season when the humidity levels in the air is very high which slows down the process of composting. In that case we placed compost pits in house and ensured less acid materials was thrown so that less odour is given out.
3. If the composting does not happen in an orderly manner that it can lead to odour and bugs in and around the space. During vacations we gave duties to students and parents to monitor the systems.
Five points that make the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative replicable:
1. The craze for social media which has engulfed the world will help us to spread awareness about our endeavour to the world community.
2. To undertake contract manufacturing with other schools which will help us to scale our business and sensitize an increasing number of people towards composting
3. It is a very simple model with minimum investment. Only passionate people needed to drive the project.
4. Since our Grade 6 Students especially have become so skilful with composting and its technicalities, we have plans to conduct workshops for the students of other schools to pass on the skills to a larger community and involve an increasing number of people in this initiative.
5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU9s4aFo4mc. The video could be used to help other schools implement the program.
Five points to elaborate on the scalability of the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative:
1. Another thing that we would like to do in future is scaling up our production so that we increase our sales and profits. In order to achieve this we have to increase our resources. In order to increase the raw material (bio-degradable waste) , we have approached two temples in the vicinity and asked them to give all their bio-degradable waste i.e. garlands and all the other offerings in the temples which can be recycled.
2. We have diversified and now growing medicinal plants like tulsi, adulsa, aloe vera etc
3. We are also going to publish a booklet on use of medicinal plants