Vedantu Innovations – Vedantu Innovations Pvt. Ltd.
Category: Start up
Sub Category: Online edustartup of the year
Reference No. WES2015/Awards/64
Details of the Applicant:
Name: Alankrita Srivastava
Organization: Vedantu Innovations Pvt. Ltd.
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
Passionately driven with a thought to bring positive change in education sector, Vamsi Krishna, Pulkit Jain, Saurabh Saxena and Anand Prakash- after graduating from IIT, conceptualized the edtech venture, Vedantu in 2014. Headquartered in Bangalore, Vedantu is a live online tutoring platform with an aim to personalize and democratize learning with primary focus on 6th to 10th tuition sector in CBSE & ICSE curriculum. Vedantu believes every child deserves a personal teacher and wishes to turn the tables around by making education more student centric (rather than teacher/institute centric) by giving the power and freedom to students for choosing their own teachers. On this platform, teaching happens according to the need, pace and level of a student. Where learning graduates from One-to-Many to 1-to-1. We have completely re-imagined 1-to-1 teaching learning and created our in-house WAVE technology (Whiteboard, Audio and Video Environment). It makes online a pleasure and enables teaching sessions even at a low bandwidth. Working on a first of a kind in India marketplace model, Vedantu brings forth Teachers and Students on a common interactive platform and makes it easier for students to discover and connect with the teacher of his/her choice in a matter of seconds. We spot and create quality teachers and ensure the quality education spreads without boundaries.
Vedantu aims to make learning personalized and democratized in the K12 education segment
Target Group: K12
Geographical Reach within India: 92 Cities
Geographical Reach outside India: 128 countries
Date From which the Project became Operational: 1-10-2011
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
Five points that make the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative innovative:
1. We use data analytic and algorithms to connect the most relevant teachers to the students as per their requirements and monitors the sessions. This is the most unbiased and unique educational practice
2. Vedantu has turned the table for ratings as well. Here students rate teachers unlike conventional system and can change or discontinue learning from a particular teacher at any point suitable to them.
3. We disrupt the traditional home tutoring which requires long distance commutes. With or model, a child saves a considerable amount of time and in some cases fuel expenses, which is otherwise utilized in traveling and settling down in a brick & mortar setting
4. We have completely re-imagined 1-to-1 teaching learning and created our in-house WAVE technology (Whiteboard, Audio and Video Environment). It makes learning online a pleasure and enables teaching sessions even at a low bandwidth
5. We are the first one to be doing a teacher’s marketplace model in the k12 tutoring space in the country.
Five key achievements of the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative:
1. We have successfully covered 92 cities within India and have also got traction from 128 countries. 2. Conducted more than 8K hours of live learning sessions and catered to more than 15k Students 3. We are the first startup to have received series A round of funding in first 6 months of launch of our online b2c Model 4. We successfully integrated click to call feature on our model which functions even at a 2G speed 5. We offer full stack solution in live one on one tutoring space without any third party involvement.
Five key challenges faced while implementing the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative and how they were overcome
1. Being a rural area on Indo-Pakistan border, it was difficult to interact with them, efforts were made to communicate well.
2. Generate awareness about social issues like corruption, pollution etc by organising street plays.
3. It was difficult to reach the masses, so school published its own newspaper wherein students collected local news as well as articles
4. To eradicate the influence of regional language was the key challenge, so special workshops were organised after school hours
5. Interative and orientation programmes were held in far flung areas near Indo-Pakistan border
Five points that make the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative replicable:
1. Technology 2. Community Building 3. Network
Five points to elaborate on the scalability of the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative:
1. Vertical scalability – In the next couple of years, vedantu will expand in terms of grades as we are currently only focussing on classes 6th to 10th 2. Horizontal scalability – We are planning to add more subjects and streams in our model. This will also include more competitive exams. 3. We are currently aggressively catering to tier 1 cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore but we are already getting traction from 92 cities within India. We will plan to expand further.